Torah IQ: The Great Torah Riddle Book

By David Woolf

SC/400 pp

I was really excited to get a copy of David Woolf’s “Torah IQ: The Great Torah Riddle Book.” David (and Fran!) Woolf have been a leading Toronto name in everything related to tzedakah, chessed, and especially, kiruv, since before I was born. In fact, my first ever time spending Shabbat overnight in a “stranger’s” home as a Jewishly/religiously "exploring" public-high school teenager was at the Woolf home, thanks to their daughter Zahava who had befriended me and had gotten me further interested in Judaism than I had been.

So back to the sefer. Torah IQ is a sefer full of riddles and brainteasers. Most of the sefer follows the parshiot of the Torah. For every parsha there are about 20 brain twisting, brain teasing, trivia questions. The answers are given on the next page. Following the parsha section is a section on “General Torah Questions”. Following that there is a section on “Halacha and Minhag” (my favorite!). There are a few other miscellaneous sections, as well. The theme continues in all the sections.

This sefer was nothing like I had expected. Nothing. I expected entries like “Name Tzelophchad’s five daughters,” “Where did Kalev pray before the spy mission?” and “Where is Moshe buried?”, and the like. Boy was I wrong. There is nothing of the sort. The questions R’ David asks are deep, challenging, and outright hard. The answers come from the gamut of meforshim, rishonom and midrashim, and unless you're fluent in classics like the Ba’al Haturim, Targum(s), Chida, Chassidic masters, Tanach, lesser-known mishnayot, then well, forget it. Don’t sign up for the live TV show Torah IQ Jeopardy challenge. It ain’t happening. Other than in the Halacha/Minhag section, I am at about a 30% correct answer rate on the parshiot I have browsed since getting the sefer. And even having written over a dozen sefarim on halacha and minhag, my score in the Halacha/Minhag section isn’t that impressive, either!

As such, I have totally changed my perception of the sefer and how I will be using it. I will not be using it as a Shabbat table teaser or conversation starter (though you may find it perfect for this purpose), but rather, I will be using it as a “Shnayim Mikra” companion to try and get more depth out of the weekly parsha. This stuff is deep. The material is lesser known. It is “wow” type information and knowledge.

Torah IQ is an amazingly thorough and competent work. It might just be that the title (“Riddles”) is misleading. The content is simply exhausting and all-encompassing. The pearls, tidbits, factoids, and explanations are outstanding. I am exceptionally impressed that such a sefer was written by a grandfather with no formal rabbinic credentials to his name: proof that advanced Torah knowledge is within reach of all. You just need to want it!

David’s personality and background makes this very much a sefer “By the people, for the people” type of work drastically different than the mainstream rabbinic sefarim we are used to. It is a very attractive, well designed, informal work that makes you want to spend more time with it. There is something for everyone.

Wow! Torah IQ really is something special. Very impressed!

Available on Amazon and Book Depository worldwide

Popular posts from this blog

Food: A Halachic Analysis

Sexuality and Jewish Law

Aruch Hashulchan in English