The Secret of Chabad
The book both opens and concludes with the story of Rabbi Gabi and Rivki Holtzberg. From the very first chapter to the end, you will be captivated and mesmerized by the stories of the shluchim around the world. The book is inundated with details on important people, places, and events. Sadly there is no index, which is a tremendous loss for the continued use of the book. Sources tell me, however, that the second edition, due out soon, will have one. Every chapter is essentially an independent account of the life and experiences of shluchim all over the world.
- A thorough presentation of the life of the previous Rebbe of Chabad, Rabbi Yosef Yitzchak Schneerson and his efforts to spread Judaism behind the Iron Curtain
- Jewish life in Russia from the 19th-21st century. Including extensive accounts of dodging the KGB in the pre-Gorbachev era
- The relationship between Chabad and non-Orthodox movements
- The relationship between Chabad shluchim and their communities, including the often turbulent relationship with local federations
- The relationship between Chabad and Zionism, and the State of Israel
- The beginnings of what has become major Chabad centers around the world
- The Rebbe's rise to leadership
- How the shluchim fundraise and survive financially
- The history and philosophy of Chabad’s Tomchei Temimim yeshiva network
- How the children of the shluchim are educated
- The Shluchim. The Shluchim. The Shluchim.